After a long day at work, the last thing you want to do is stop by the grocery store for tonight’s meal ingredients. We all know that when we are starving, it is NOT the best time to go shopping. Inevitably, we choose for convenience and flavor, but we don’t always make the healthiest choices.
It is best to stock up with all the healthiest ingredients in advance. And whether you shop at your local farmer’s market, health food store, health co-op or healthy online food sites, it is best to plan ahead and have everything at your fingertips when it’s meal time.
Let’s review all the foods that can be waiting for you in your pantry and refrigerator so you can easily make the most nutritious meals, kids lunches or snacks with ease. When we stock our kitchen cabinets with healthy basics, we are assured that we can continue to create appealing and delicious cellular healing meals.
Say goodbye to the following foods lurking in your pantry or refrigerator!
First things first: get out a big black garbage bag and enter your pantry. Open your refrigerator and discard anything that is not “real” food. On the other hand, I don’t want you to waste food. So please consider donating all these items to a local mission or homeless shelter. Here is what to discard:
- Packaged or canned foods that list ingredients you CANNOT pronounce
- Commercial cookies, candy, sweet biscuits, crackers, white flour, whole wheat flour, cake mixes, pretzels, chips, pastries, cereals, sodas, bread, bagels, etc.
- Foods that contain sugar and high fructose corn syrup
- All grains including rice (white, brown, basmati)
- Sauces that contain sugar and preservatives
- Iodized salt
- All prepared salad dressings
- Toxic oils such as canola oil, margarine, and palm oil
- Ice cream
- Sweetened yogurt
- Commercial cheeses and milk
- All artificial sweeteners and diet drinks
- Artificial creamers
- Deli meats that contain nitrates and nitrites
- GMO foods such as corn, corn chips or corn tortillas (organic corn products are safe but organic corn of any kind is not preferred on the Cellular Healing Diet
- Soy milk and tofu (unless they are organic soybeans they are GMO and a nightmare for your body and gut)
- Frozen convenience foods and commercial canned foods and energy bars
Make way for cellular healing ingredients:
Now you have made room for the following real-food staples. Have all of these ingredients on hand and you will be able to prepare any number of our Cellular Healing Diet recipes. Choose organic whenever possible.
Healthy Fats and Healthy Oils:
- Extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- Raw coconut oil
- Organic avocado oil
- MCT oil
- Grass-fed butter or raw butter
- Organic grape seed oil
- Grass-fed tallow
Herbs and Spices:
- Raw almonds, pecans and walnuts
- Raw almond butter
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Xylitol powder
- Stevia powder
- Full fat coconut milk in a BPA free/aluminium free can
- Chia seeds
- Ground flaxseeds
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Raw honey
- Grass-fed gelatin powder
- Grass-fed collagen powder
- Stevia sweetened chocolate chips
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Canned wild-caught sardines and sockeye salmon
- Organic coffee and/or tea
- Dijon mustard
- Wheat-free, organic tamari
- Bragg’s Aminos
- Coconut Aminos
- Cooking Sherry
Meats and Fish:
- Fish rules: Avoid farmed raised fish or fish that contain high levels of mercury such as tuna (canned albacore), Ahi tuna, orange roughy, swordfish, marlin, King mackerel, shark, tile fish and Chilean sea bass.
- Meat and Poultry rules: Meats should be 100% grass-fed, organic and local, if possible. Poultry should be pastured and free-range.
Vegetables and Fruit:
- Best fruit choices: All berries, Granny Smith apples, grapefruits, lemons, limes, and kiwis. Enjoy tropical fruits in very limited quantities or avoid if weight-loss resistant.
- Best vegetable choices: Enjoy a wide variety of leafy greens and seasonal, local vegetables and especially fermented ones. Avoid white potatoes, but sweet potatoes and yams eaten moderately are acceptable.
Can I Buy Dairy Products?
As noted in the past, it is preferable to buy raw, cultured dairy that comes from 100% grass-fed and A2 cows (i.e. the older breeds of cows like Jerseys, Asian and African cows) that do not posses the A1 beta casein genetic mutation. All other dairy products that do NOT come from A2 cows, but from A1 cows, contain allergy producing, mucous forming molecules that can be disastrous for most digestive tracts, sinuses and skin. You may find that raw goat’s milk and sheep’s milk products sit better with your body than cow’s milk, as these animals do not possess the genetic mutation and their milk tends to assimilate more easily.
When I was growing up, the only time you reached for the sauerkraut was to put it on top of a hot dog at a baseball game! Considering the fact that as my whole aim in suggesting this pantry and refrigerator makeover is to ensure the health of your gut, you need to look for foods that contain many different and unique, friendly bacteria (probiotics).
In my articles about how to reduce inflammation and promote gut healing, I have referred to many fermented foods that can create a more balanced digestive system. Homemade sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented whey water, fermented A2 dairy and kombucha contain varied probiotics that are essential for a healthy digestive system. Always have a variety of fermented foods on hand and remember to rotate your probiotic supplements too.
Clearing the Path for Health:
In closing, you don’t have to live a restricted, boring food life, nor should you. Variety is the spice of life and our bodies need different foods to support cellular health and healing. Being health conscious means choosing foods that are nutritious, filled with nutrients and antioxidants. From these foods, we build healthy cells that can protect us from the many toxic culprits of this day and age.
Your menus can be creative and beautifully spiced with flavors galore. Our very own Meredith Dykstra has contributed many tasty, balanced recipes that are easy to prepare, located under Recipes and Exercise. I am not a whiz in the kitchen, but I do love food and her recipes are nothing short of fantastic. Thanks, Meredith!
Life and food are neither commonplace nor dull at the Pompa household. Between my wife, Merily, and Meredith’s recipes, every meal is a health-filled feast. Enjoy your upgraded pantry and refrigerator!
- Revelation Health – Healthy Online Food Site
- It’s Not Just Gluten – The Glyphosate Threat
- Your Brain on Diet Soda: Aspartame Effects on the Brain
- The Truth About GMOs
- Ground Zero: How to Heal Your Leaky Gut
- CHTV Episode 81
- Cellular Healing Diet Recipes
- Cellular Healing Diet Book
- Raw coconut oil
- MCT Oil
- Grass-fed butter
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Turmeric powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Xylitol powder
- Stevia powder
- Chia seeds
- Gelatin powder
- Collagen powder
- Cocoa powder
- Organic coffee
- Organic tea
- Whey Water